Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Interior Onslaught

I’m off on retreat again! I'll be seeing some of my little friends, I'm sure:



I leave you with this tidbit from the Sayings of the Desert Fathers:

[Amma Syncletica] also said, “We must arm ourselves in every way against the demons. For they attack us from outside, and they also stir us up from within; and the soul is then like a ship when great waves break over it, and at the same time it sinks because the hold is too full. We are just like that: we lose as much be the exterior faults we commit as by the thoughts inside us. So we must watch for the attacks of men that come from outside us, and also repel the interior onslaughts of our thoughts.”


That’s certainly true for me. It’s those uncharitable thoughts about others that sink my ship!

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment