Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Distractions

Ah, those demons love to distract, don’t they?

Just make a resolution to apply yourself more diligently and ardently to prayer, and there will certainly arise distractions.

My distractions this past week have included problems with our hot water heater, followed closely by a problem with the washing machine. Both required visits from repairmen, of course, and I’m sure you know that visits from repairmen require waiting…and waiting…for them to arrive. And they you wait around while the work on the problem. I don’t know about you, but I find it hard to excuse myself for the Divine Office at those times, and I find it difficult to concentrate on reading anything. So, time goes by, and I am distracted.

In being distracted from prayer, I become distracted in the other areas of my life.  I have been learning to struggle through it, to try to maintain some equanimity, but this week harder than usual because of financial issues. In addition to the cost of the repairs, we discovered that repairing our 10-year-old washing machine was practically throwing money away. Purchasing a new one is a stressor, as our family finances are simply an atrocious mess of debt. That is definitely distracting.

So now, a new washing machine will arrive tomorrow…more distractions!

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment