Thursday, April 28, 2016

So Many Books to Read...

I feel vindicated.

The other day, I was looking at the book shelves in the living space portion of my chapel building, and I thought something along the lines of, “I have all these books…I’ve read parts of most of them…but…” I mused that I probably don’t remember half of what I’ve read, though I know I was moved by the words at the time I read them.  In all honesty I must add that some of the books I own are still in their original shrink-wrap.

Today, I read this in The Sayings of the Desert Fathers:

[Abba Epiphanius] also said, “The acquisition of Christian books is necessary for those who can use them. For the mere sight of these books renders us less inclined to sin, and incites us to believe more firmly in righteousness.”

What a relief! I will make a regular habit of consciously staring at my books!

Here are the books in the chapel; it's a small selection, as there are a ton more in the house. Not to mention that there are quite a few on my Kindle as well (I just ordered "The Complete Works of St. Augustine" for $1.99 on Amazon...lol!) I have many opportunities to render myself less inclined to sin!



Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me!



No comments:

Post a Comment