Saturday, May 4, 2013

Our Blessed Mother


I was remembering the other day what it was like when I was not a Catholic. The memories were brought on by someone sharing an email message with me from a person who was a baptized Catholic but had fallen away and taken up with a Protestant church. The person even said that “Mary is seldom referenced”.

That struck me. I remember those days! Of course, in my Protestant church, we all knew who Mary was…but who thought about her except at Christmas time?

Now I cannot imagine my life without our Blessed Mother! She is always there, I am always talking to her, asking for her help. I have pictures of her everywhere.  I pray the Rosary daily. I ask her to watch over and guide my family members.

Sometimes I think I even confuse her with my own (deceased) natural mother! I think of “Mom” and realize I am really thinking of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God. No matter. My mom was a good mom, and if she has made it into Heaven by now, I’m sure she is still watching out for me. Perhaps she sits at Mary’s side and says, “Yes, grant that request for her, Blessed Mother!” or “Oh no, if you give her an inch, she’ll take a mile!”

Well, whether such conversations take place or not, I do know that I am loved and cared for by Our Blessed Mother, and it gives me a sense of security I didn’t know as a Protestant.

No comments:

Post a Comment