Thursday, May 7, 2015

It's Spring

Well, it seemed like spring last week, anyway, when we had warm, wind-less days, and blue skies. The high temps were reaching up into the mid-70's! I thought I was going to have to get serious about my hunt for a new window air conditioner for the chapel (seriously, it can get very warm in there during the afternoon, even if the outside temp is not too high).

But the last few days, it's been cold again. There has been ice on the water in the doggie swimming pools in the morning, and the wind has been blowing, too. This is why the locals say not to plant anything before Mother's Day around here.

Still, there are signs of the season all around. The trees are getting leaves, the daffodils have come and mostly gone.


The irises are taking off (I don't have a photo yet, but may add one later).

 I discovered one random tulip that appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the lawn. How did that happen?! I have no idea. There are actually 2 tulips, but one remained very small and never blossomed. We used to have more tulips around the house, but I don't know where they all went. Perhaps more are waiting to pop up randomly in future years. It's a mystery!


And there are baby robins. I noticed that there was a nest in the tree right next to the chapel (last year the doves nested there, and I think robins did, too). This time, I noticed the mother robin sitting on her nest very early, maybe even before there were actually eggs in there. One day, when she was away, I snuck a peek (the branch where the nest is located is just a little above eye level) and saw a couple of bright blue eggs. I was surprised at how blue they actually were.

I waited and waited, along with Mama Bird. I read that the gestation period was about two weeks, and kept thinking "any day now!" Finally, I snuck a peek again, and could barely make out a bit of fuzz. A few days more and I could see their little beaks pointed upwards, sometimes with their mouths open. A few days after that, I heard them chirping wildly for their food.

Here's Mama Bird; can you see her? Her yellow beak is to the right, and her tail is sticking up at the left.


Here are the babies with their beaks showing:


Today I peaked again, and there were three little beaks pointed to the sky.

I'm trying not to worry too much about them meeting their demise before they have even learned to fly. Last year, it seemed they all left the nest prematurely, because they really couldn't fly very well. A couple were picked off by the magpies, and at least one died at the hands...er...mouth of one of the dogs. 

I have posted a little statue of St. Francis of Assisi near the tree to keep watch, but I know it is not likely all three will survive. God's will be done!

*** *** *** ***

And...I've been wanting to post a few photos, so I think I will choose the theme of "The Moon". If you've ever tried to take photos of the moon, you know it is difficult to make the camera show what you have seen! I'm sure I would have more success with something other than my cell phone, but these turned out pretty nice regardless:




This was first thing in the morning as the moon was setting.

This was also in the morning, a little later than the previous one.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment