Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pray, and Be Careful About It


I read this in the Sayings of the Desert Fathers the other day:

"Abba Theodore of Scetis said,  ‘A thought comes to me which troubles me and does not leave me free; but not being able to lead me to act, it simply stops me progressing in virtue; but a vigilant man would cut it off and get up to pray.’"
  
Uh…yeah. I think that happens to me more times per day than I would like to admit.


And before that saying was this one:

"Abba Theodore of Enaton said, ‘If God reproaches us for carelessness in our prayers and infidelities in our psalmody, we cannot be saved.’"

There’s a scary thought. I think I am too often careless in my prayers and distracted in my  psalmody. May God forgive me instead of reproaching me!
 
Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment